Friday, May 20, 2011

Good Weather for Frogs!

It feels as if it's been raining for a week or maybe forever.

The increased humidity is probably good for the frogs. I decided to try again tonight and photograph them. They seemed less shy than earlier in the week.

I spent part of yesterday and today volunteering at a Scholastic Book Fair at the Brooklyn Historical Society--lots of fun people contact and a chance to talk about books and kids. The bonus--$10 credit to spend for every hour I put in! I got some great books (just what I need the week before BEA, but...) I'm excited about reading Tracy Chevalier's book about Mary Anning.

I also went to a fantastic concert last night at the Hispanic Society of America at 155th and Broadway. The Sylvan Wind Quintet, led by Svetlana Kabalin, played a program of wonderful Spanish music for an audience that included the Spanish Ambassador. I helped give out programs and collected email names for their mailing list. The room was spectacular--surrounding us with vivid murals of Spanish scenes by Joaquin Sorolla:
It felt as if we were in the painting while listening to the music --amazing!

I was completely awed by the light in so many of the paintings, especially one I can't find an image of...adobe homes on a high hill lit by the setting or rising sun. Beautiful!


No comments:

Post a Comment