Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Time Flies--and Sometimes Without Our Noticing It!

Where have I been since May 20? It's almost a month since I last posted on this blog, and I'm not even sure why. But I decided to spend a few minutes today on a subject dear to my heart: my upcoming children's books!



My first two books are coming this fall from Capstone Pebble Plus. These photos were taken from the catalogue, since I never got any cover proofs, but you can still get an idea of how they will look. These books are for K-1 readers with lots of photos to get the facts across.

I finally got to go to ID day at the American Museum of Natural History and learned a few new things about my specimens:



The jaw with one tooth that I found on the shores of Bermuda turns out to be a GROUPER fish. Thank you to all who tried to help identify it. This photo is from an online source and the top image exactly matches my specimen!

I'm still waiting to hear from scientist Paul Sweet, in Ornithology, about my cranium (not skull) and backbone. His best guess from initial glance was that it could be a GREBE...or a duck.

So what's a GREBE? Here's a picture of one.

Hope to hear from him soon with a confirmation!

I'm off to check out the new East River Ferry! Will report back.

No comments:

Post a Comment