Friday, May 13, 2011

Hurray, we all survived Friday the 13th!

A few updates before I head off to sleep at 2 am Friday into Saturday...

The birds built their nest...and vanished. No sign of them for more than a week. I will leave the nest where it is...I wonder if another pair of birds would consider using it.

Went to a great meeting of the New York Chapter of the Society for Children's Writers and Illustrators...heard a good talk on how covers are designed at Abrams...Chad's blog tells all:

Attended the Learning Leaders luncheon on Wednesday with my former tutor Laurie Harris. Some very smart people talked about parent engagement but the one principal on the panel made it clear that while she encourages lots of parent involvement, she needs money to provide the services her families need. She has a full medical clinic in her school! Amazing...

Walked the Rockaways with Phil yesterday (Thursday) and found absolutely nothing for myself--no shells, no bones, no interesting rocks or fossils. But I did find a great ladybug for Phil, who is a world class expert on beetles. He liked the one I found because its spots were unusual.

Tonight, a great Open Studio reception downtown, where I met my artistic "twin"--Janelle Iglesias makes astonishing found object sculptures and even collects some of her materials on Barren Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment