Saturday, January 1, 2011

HAPPY TO BE HOME! and HAPPY 2011!

It felt strange watching the ball drop in San Francisco airport terminal while waiting for the red-eye to depart. I read the last 200 pages of THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE and caught a couple of hours of restless sleep before we landed nearly an hour early! Home via the AirTrain and subway, then a few more hours' sleep.



While I was away, I realized I had left my 8 inch turtle shell soaking in alcohol--yikes! (It's the one I found on the beach in Staten Island back in November.) I figured the extra time wouldn't matter but I really didn't know. Preparing specimens is something I know very little about. I removed the shell from the alcohol and rinsed it thoroughly. Then I used scissors, a pliers, and some kitchen knives to try and get the remaining bits of flesh from the inside. After a while, I realized that the shell had cracked and that the top and bottom had separated. Phooey. But it did make it much easier to clean.

Here are photos of the top and bottom. I don't know what kind of turtle it is but I'm hoping to get some help in identification as well as do more research online.

No comments:

Post a Comment