Thursday, April 28, 2011

ENDINGS AND BEGINNINGS,,,

I realized tonight it's been more than a week since I last posted, but I'm here now, and I'm thinking a lot about endings and beginnings. I've had some wonderful ones of each in my life to date, and so while this time is full of challenge and change, I'm focusing on "feeling the feelings" and keeping going.

After nearly 8 years, I have left East Harlem Tutorial Program, a place that was more to me than a job, and a place where I spent endless hours working with wonderful kids, great tutors, and inspiring staff. Changes have occurred that resulted in my job being eliminated, and so I am now free to pursue new adventures in many areas of my life!

Some of these include:
Skype-ing--I had visitors from Ottawa staying with me this week, and John Harding showed me how to work it. So, anyone who wants to chat online or (horrors) with video, let me know!

Tenka--By the time I bought my first Groupon and Living Social deals, it was already old hat for many of the people I know. But Tenka has been a fun revelation--and very well-timed. Thanks to Lyel Resner for turning me on to this phone-based super deal site, which has provided me (and some of my friends) great dining deals! We've had free pizza, free frozen yogurt, free hot dogs, and more. Check out Tenka.com for your chance to enjoy discounts and freebies!

The Frogs in my kitchen--In November 2009, I was fortunate enough to get three free tadpoles from the friendly folks at Petco Union Square. I was teaching K-1 in the after school program and talking about life cycles of different creatures. We raised those tadpoles into frogs, and while Charlie had some issues and went to Central Park, Jonathan and Rose have thrived. When I left EHTP, I brought them home with me, and they seem very happy on my kitchen table. I added a large fossilized rock to their tank, which they seem to enjoy, and have fed them both crickets (devoured a dozen in minutes) and minnows (ate about 3-4, and have left the rest to swim around, though they may eat them at some point as they did at EHTP...probably because too many days passed without other food, not sure.)

There will be many more adventures and challenges to report in the next days and weeks. Thanks to all who are keeping my spirits high and listening when I need a friendly ear. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment