Monday, September 26, 2011

Committing to the Blog--and to My Writing Work

I named this blog LOVE WHAT YOU DO AND FEEL THAT IT MATTERS, referring to my work as a teacher and tutor trainer at East Harlem Tutorial Program as well as my creative work as a writer of children's books for Capstone and other publications as well.

But now that I have been, as we used to say in the theatre, "between engagements" for five months, I have been thinking about what those words really mean to me. I believe that I bring passion into whatever I choose to do, whether it's giving information to patrons at New York City Ballet, helping with a mailing at the NYC Audubon Society, assisting walk-up kayakers in Astoria, donating platelets for the New York Blood Center, or crafting questions and answers to help students prepare for high-stakes tests.

If it's worth my time, it's meaningful to me.

But as someone who has been work-centered much of her life, these months have been challenging for me. I research job opportunities, write the best cover letters I can, and send my applications off in hopes of finding a new mission, somewhere to bring my enthusiasm, energy, and commitment (as well as earn the cash to pay my bills!). I believe the right opportunity is out there, and that my continued efforts to connect with it will succeed.

In the meantime--I'm going to keep DOING WHAT I LOVE...in every way I can. I'll post here what I do and what I learn from it.

I just read about a wonderful children's picture book that I wish I'd written--
and it ignited a desire in me to get back to the work of a writer: creating from the heart.

STAY TUNED!

No comments:

Post a Comment